Does your smile require a bone grafting procedure? Typically bone grafting is used when additional bone is needed to stabilize an area. In dentistry, bone grafting is often used to take a section of bone and place it into the jaw to help strengthen a weak jawbone.
For a better understanding of the basics of bone grafting, listed below are some important facts about it:
– It often takes several months for the graft to strengthen with the bone unless a very small graft is needed.
– Bone grafting is popular with dental implant procedures due to the fact that if your jawbone is too weak or frail, your implant can fail.
– Bone grafting procedures will remove a bone from one section of your body or use a special bone grafting material to graft onto your jawbone.
– According to the AAOMS (American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons), surgeons will often recommend a bone graft if your jaw bone is soft, frail or thin, in order to straighten it to hold an implant.
– Bone grafting can also be used in a few periodontal dentistry procedures.
Don’t delay in visiting our team at Aspire Surgical to determine if bone grafting could help you. To schedule an appointment with Dr. AJ Stosich and our team at our dentist office in Draper, Utah, please call us at 801-576-5910. We are here to help you get the perfect smile of your dreams!